Thursday, February 28, 2013

Road Trip I Don't Want To Make

Well, crap.

Sis is coming up from OKC and we're headed to southwest Michigan.

To my Uncle Bill's funeral.

Not sure when it is just yet, but we need to get going if we're gonna get there. He had been failing - was on dialysis for years, had bypass surgery years ago, and some strokes in the past few. He had really failed in the past few weeks.

It had been decided that his last dialysis was the day before yesterday and had been checked into a hospice. He had been lucid enough to communicate his wishes, apparently.

This whole ordeal has been pretty difficult for my aunt. It hasn't been easy on his three children, either.

He is the last of his family - his parents (my grandparents) and siblings (Dad and my Aunt Patsy) have all preceded him.

He was really a cool guy and I'm gonna miss him.

7 comments:

Lorrie Blackburn said...

I'm sorry for your loss, Jeffro. Have a safe trip.

threecollie said...

Aw, no! I am so sorry for your loss.

drjim said...

My condolences, Jeff.

DFW said...

So sorry for your loss.

jed said...

My condolences, Jeffro.

B said...

dede. Email me.

I have an in with a motel about an hour away from SW michigan. You and sis can stay fer free.

SteveK said...

Hi Jeff. My sincere sympathies to you and Kathleen on the loss of your Uncle Bill. Also prayers for your Aunt Gail and cousins during this time of sorrow. I've been in touch with Kathleen and she told me about your travel plans. You both have a safe journey there and back. Much love to you both! -Cousin Steve