Thursday, March 12, 2009

Things I Learned Today

I went by one of Peanut Corporation of America's plants today in Plainview TX. It was definitely closed. There wasn't a vehicle of any kind in their parking lot.

Rip Griffin truckstops used to be pretty widespread. I thought they were out of business. The TA in Limon, for instance, used to be a Rip Griffin. Turns out, there are a few left in Texas.

Palo Duro Canyon is a bit of a surprise. Texas is damn flat for hours and hours, then all of a sudden, the canyon opens up. There isn't that much of an elevation change to go to the bottom, but still. Then, the terrain is super flat again.

I'm well aware of how big Texas is, but when traveling through any major portion of said state, I'm certainly reminded of that fact again.

3 comments:

Kathy B. said...

Sounds like you get a daily adventure - how fun! And beautiful weather to boot - doesn't get much better huh? That peanut factory closing had to devastate the area - greedy executives!

Anonymous said...

Love Palo Duro Canyon! Especially the wonderfully named "Prairie Dog Fork of the Red River". Especially good when blasting out the Buck Owens tunes.

Speaking of late lamented truck stops, who remembers the wonderful Stuckey's? On a recent coast to coast trip I found they are few and far between. Managed to find only one so I could buy their famous blankets and some peanut brittle.

Unknown said...

Yea, When He sold them whole lot to Travel Centers he kept three. One for each of his children. All three are in Texas. By the way I have a new blog now instead of "south of eden". It expired and now you have to pay for it so we moved. Just click on my name and you will see our new Blogger blog.

The new Job is going pretty good although I have a lot of cleaning to do in the truck. In 13 years of driving I have been in about twenty or so different trucks. This has to be the fithiest one so far.
Peace.