Sunday, November 11, 2007

Google Earth Easter Egg


I'm sure y'all have heard of easter eggs - the hidden "extras" in certain programs, games and movie dvds. If you know the secret, you can access the little clips in dvds, or play the extra game or scene in a game, or whatever.

Well, Google Earth has a flight simulator. Read here, and here. The controls are listed here. Open Google Earth and hit Control - Alt - A. GE must be in Earth Mode and not Sky Mode. It took me a lot of tries to finally get it to work, so don't give up. Some say Control-Windows-A works as well. I found that when I finally got the cursor away from the search box (so AAAAAA quit appearing in it) I eventually got it to show up. After you have accessed it once, there is an option for it in Tools>Enter Flight Simulator.

Now I suppose I'll have to find an old joystick and get to work - some other day because it's late. I'm not a big fan of keyboard and mouse play on a laptop. At least I have it enabled for another day.

6 comments:

IHeartQuilting said...

I love Google Earth. I recently discovered you can actually view certain neighborhoods, mine as well, close up. They apparently have vehicles that go around and take pictures. I can see my house well enough to tell that someone is sitting on our back deck.

Sezme said...

I can't seem to find it. Eh, well.

Jeffro said...

rt, don't give up - I tried other key combos and just kept after it. Basically I got pissed off, and stubborn....

Sezme said...

I managed to get to the simulator, now I can't get it to go. Looks like fun, though. I'll fiddle with more tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't make anything happen either; if there are keyboard commands, they don't seem to have documented them.

Jeffro said...

mcgehee: Keep on trying - I just got pissed and kept after it, maybe even denting a key or three. It finally took.

The keyboard commands for the game are at the third link. I'm gonna hook up a joystick - touchpads IMHO suck at gaming.

Like I said, after reading some other comments at the other links, they had problems getting it to go. There is a registry hack available, but I apparently don't know enough about Vista to make a registry key - what I tried didn't work that way, either.