Friday, November 19, 2010

Southern Fried Rock


link

I don't know what I'd do with an iPod loaded up with all my records and CDs - mostly because I get more variety from SiriusXM. I've got a ton of stuff, but there are a lot of things I don't have.

Like The Outlaws. Southern Fried Rock? Got some. Molly Hatchett? Check. Charlie Daniels? Check. Marshall Tucker Band? Check. Little Feat? Check. And so many more. But, for whatever reason, no Outlaws. So, I'd miss out on hearing songs like this one. Two lead guitars and harmonizing vocals. Enigmatic lyrics:
"From what I gather, there was an album out, the best of The Rolling Stones, called 'High Tides and Green Grass.' That was the name of the Rolling Stones' greatest hits - this is like 1966 - and I think it was a manifestation of that title turned in reverse, 'Green Grass and High Tides.' I know that much. And I know that it was a song written for rock and roll illuminaries, from Janis Joplin to Jimi Hendrix, and it had nothing to do with marijuana. But it had to do with, I think, a specific person's [Thomasson's] lyrical look at rock and roll legends. 'As kings and queens bow and play for you.' It's about Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin. 'Castles of stone, soul and glory.' A lot of it is just sort of a collage of words that really don't have all that much to do with anything, they just fit and sounded right. But I have to say it's one of my favorite lyrics. My songwriting is more Steinbeck, really rooted in accuracy and reality; this is definitely Alice In Wonderland. It's the whole 'White Rabbit.' It's sort of like one of those magic lyrical moments that will forever be mysteriously, unclearly conceived."[2]

That was founding member Henry Paul speaking about the meaning of the lyrics.

The Outlaws are still around and have been in one form or another, but their heyday was from the early seventies until around 1980. After that, their sound changed, and they ceased to exist for periods of time.

But, when they were on, they were on.

No comments: