Sunday, April 26, 2009

If They Stand Perfectly Still


I can't see them. Well, that is what they think. Actually, the immortal words of Samwise Gamgee come to mind concerning "a brace o' coneys." They need taters: "Po-ta-toes! Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew."

The annual crop of wild onions in the yard are coming along - too bad it's really not worth it to dig enough up to actually season something. I spent almost two hours one day digging the bulbs, cleaning and trimming with the result being about a half cup. The variety here tastes like mild radishes, actually.

The coneys oughta be pretty tender this time of year - they've had a chance to fatten up after a pretty mild winter. No stress.

And I certainly would not take a shot considering where they are now! Gotta consider Rules Two and Four of The Four Rules of Safe Gun Handling.

Yep, I see ingesting some very locally grown protein soon.

5 comments:

Mo K said...

That's some good hasenpfeffer material, right thar. And in these trying economic times, we need to take advantage of free game.

Get dem wascally wabbits!
But yeah...
Wait. Until. They've. Moved. Away. From. The. Truck.

RT said...

Not that this has anything to do with shooting bunnies (ha!), but I'm developing quite a like for bison.

Can't say I want to eat any rabbit, though.

(I wonder how many people have shot up their rides while huntin' wabbit, though.)

Jeffro said...

Mmm, bison. Rich taste!

It's been a while since I've feasted on innocent bunny - but I've sure eaten them before. Dad really liked young cottontails. Jackrabbits - don't eat those.

I remember when Sis and I were little, she absolutely had a fit when she found out cottontail was on the supper menu. So, the next time it came up, Dad claimed it was "Persian Chicken." It fooled Sis for about five minutes, and she was in fit tossing mode again!

The Local Malcontent said...

Have you ever watched two male cottontails fight, Jeffro?

They jump straight up and down at each other, to a height of maybe three feet to intimidate the other, then !!
Then they get fierce, and go at each others' throats.

sorta O/T, I once hoped that George W. Bush was a good rabbit hunter, too-
but bin Laden lives on.

Anonymous said...

Aw, c'mon, that back one is fair game with a .22 - Right through that beady little eyeball.