Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Gun Geek Surfin'

Sittin' at home today - since a large portion of our business is supplying tanks for the oil industry, well, things are kinda slow in that department. So, I've wasted the day on Algore's intertubes.

I'm a big fan of IMDB - the Internet Movie DataBase. I enjoy learning the minutiae that IMDB categorizes on their site. I'm also a fan of Wikipedia. I like wiki sites, such as Battlestar Wiki and Memory Alpha - the Star Trek wiki. Another good Star Trek site is StarTrek.com. Of course I read gun boards and post to one in particular. And I like to peruse the gun auction sites just for kicks.

So, today, I discover the existence of the internet movie firearms database, or imfdb (They use lower case). It's in wiki form, and right now it reminds me of Wikipedia several years ago - it's incomplete. I suspect that will change drastically in time. I thought I'd trip them up by looking for the Krag that Atticus shot the rabid dog in To Kill a Mockingbird, one of my fav movies of all time. I didn't find the listing by movie, so I thought: "Ah Hah! Got 'em there!" Well, I was wrong. Seemed they mentioned that a sporterized Krag was used on their Krag-Jørgensen page. They have not created a Mockingbird page yet.

I looked over some movie pages and found their coverage extensive and knowledgeable. Their Wild Bunch and Saving Private Ryan pages seem pretty comprehensive to me, particularly since there are quite a few different guns on display in those flicks. They also point out errors and goofs as well.

So, if you are a movie and gun geek, this site might just scratch an itch.

No comments: