Wednesday, July 27, 2011

I'd Never Done That Before

Drivin' with one eye open. I've done that plenty of times, too many for comfort. But today, it could have cost me.

Trucks have to pass through state ports of entry. Most just have you pull on an axle scale and they record our DOT number plus check our IFTA sticker. When we're loaded, they might have us pull over and bring in all our pertinent registration, driver's license and permits to haul that load. Even when we're empty, we're supposed to pull in. There is a pair across from each other on I35 south of the Blackwell exits, and I was headed north. I had been by there a half dozen times - even once yesterday - and it was closed.

So, there I am driving with one eye open. Struggling to stay awake. I noticed a semi coming out from an on ramp, and another behind it, so I got over into the fast lane - right as I blew by the port with a line of trucks waiting to pass through.

This is a ticketable offense, and I figured there would be some lights chasing after me tuit suite. I said to hell with it, I'd oblige them to chase me down, so I just kept right on. Never did see anyone come after me. They might not have even seen me go by.

But sheesh - there are only about three or four signs warning truckers that they're gonna have to pull off, stay in the right lane and so on, as well as the open/closed sign. I was just out to lunch, baybee.

4 comments:

drjim said...

Glad they didn't come out after you!
I'm willing to bet besides the ticket, they'd want to give you a real good "going over" to see what you were hauling that made yo want to blow by them!
And I'll bet that ticket aint cheap, either....

Cedar View Paint Horses said...

Skeery. Sleep driving is no good.

Jeffro said...

Yah, I eventually pulled over and grabbed about a half hour catnap. That took care of the problem.

Anonymous said...

Just reading about it I'm already scared. No, it's a good thing some people (moi, f.i.) don't have a DL.

Be careful out there, Jeffro; we want to read many more of your posts