Sunday, August 15, 2010

Bet I Miss This Show


The Great Food Truck Race debuts on the Food Network tonight. I've been seeing ads all week.

Roach Coaches on the Run? Taco Truck Time Trial?

I've got mixed emotions about eating at these fine establishments. Some of them have been very good and inexpensive. Others? Let's say it was a good idea to remain within quick trotting distance (trotting gently) of a toilet. If you know what I mean, and I think that you do.

As a subject of a reality show? Really?

2 comments:

Lisa Paul said...

IN a place like San Francisco where the permit process for a new restaurant has gotten out of control and out of the price range of many, our "truck" restaurants have become the outlet for very talented chefs with less than deep pockets. YOu can get excellent meals from many of them. In other areas, well, can't vouch for that...

Jeffro said...

The ones I've run into do business in more "industrial" areas. I did read a pretty good article in the NYT about some of the more urban varieties with all the different menus, and how they're using Twitter to update their locations so their good customers can find them. Less overhead also means some pretty decent prices.

Most of the Mexican roach coaches are "authentic" with a lot of organ meats and what not - but you are gambling when you dine at some of them!