Tuesday, February 17, 2009

XM 49

That's pretty much my go to channel on the now Sirius XM unit in the Binder. There are so many music channels that broadcast a narrow slice of music, so you'd think there would be a lot of variety. There is as far as types of music, but when you listen to a channel all day for several days, it becomes obvious there is a fairly limited playlist that isn't changed all that often. The old AOR stations with actual DJs played a much wider variety - tell me "Bob" or whatever plays whatever they want, oh yeah. Not so much.

But, occasionally, Sirius XM (which, as it turns out, isn't going bankrupt today at least) plays something I just don't hear every day:



direct YouTube link


Another Spirit song I've always enjoyed:



direct YouTube link

Researching Spirit on good old Wikepedia (old? since when?) turned up something I didn't know - which is completely unsurprising considering my total lack of musical knowledge - Jay Ferguson was one of the original members. Which was cool, because I have a couple of his albums on vinyl stored away - Real Life Ain't This Way and Thunder Island. Which leads me to Do It Again, a song on RLATW. We were all quite amused by this song back in the day, and it could be the basis for one hell of a music video, In My Humble Opinion. Odds are poor that this song will ever be on a Clear Channel or much of any corporate playlist.

Warning - I'd right click on the link to Do It Again, copy the link location,open a new window and paste the link in the new window. It takes you to Rhapsody's free player, and if you right click and open in a new tab, or just click direct, you are going to get a resized window. Which always irritates me.

No comments: