Tuesday, August 16, 2011

"I'll Give Biffle The Whipping He Needs"

Yesterday, in the rain delayed NASCAR race at Watkins Glen, NY, NASCAR drivers Greg Biffle and Boris Said had some major disagreements about their on track encounters with each other. After the race was over, Boris drove up to Biffle for a confrontation. Said claims Greg punched him a few times while he was still strapped in his car, but after he climbed out, he hid behind his crew members. I saw this, and it did look like that was a legitimate complaint on Boris's part. Naturally Biffle's crew members would protect him, but Biffle appeared to be baiting Boris from a safe place he wasn't willing to abandon. On the other hand, Biffle and other drivers found fault with Boris's actions on track, particularly since he caused a wreck that involved Biffle's Roush-Fenway Racing teammate David Ragan (that was a very scary crash, too).
WATKINS GLEN, N.Y. -- Greg Biffle should watch his back, given Boris Said's comments after Monday's rain-delayed Sprint Cup race at Watkins Glen International. After the drivers traded shots on the race track, they squared off on pit road after Marcos Ambrose took the checkered flag for his first Cup win.
Said had relayed through his spotter that he thought Biffle (who had run out of fuel on Lap 28 and was two laps down) was racing him dirty, Said's crew chief, Nick Harrison, explained after the race. Said told his spotter he wanted to settle the score with Biffle after the race.
After crew members restrained the drivers on pit road, Said didn't mince words when talking about his adversary.
"He's the most unprofessional little scaredy cat I've ever seen in my life," Said fumed. "He wouldn't even fight me like a man after. So, if someone texts me his address, I'll go see him Wednesday at his house and show him what he really needs. He needs a whipping, and I'm going to give it to him. He was flipping me off, giving me the finger. Totally unprofessional, two laps down -- I mean he is a chump.
"I went over there to go talk to him. He wouldn't even let me get out of the car. He comes over and throws a few little baby punches, and then when I get out, he runs away and hides behind some big guys. But he won't hide from me long. I'll find him. I won't settle it out on the track. It's not right to wreck cars, but he'll show up at a race with a black eye one of these days. I'll see him somewhere."
Tonight the Biff will appear on Speed TV's Race Hub on a show titled  "Boris Said Can Find Biffle on NASCAR Race Hub Tuesday Night." Okay, that right there is funny, but what really tickled me was Jenna Fryer, AP's NASCAR reporter who appears on Yahoo's sports pages online as well, had to say on Twitter:
The Biff will be Steve Byrnes' in-studio guest on Race Hub tonight. So that's where he'll be if Boris Said is really looking ...
True Story: A few years ago at Chase media day, hotel security tried to enter Biff's room in middle of night as he was sleeping (cont)
Biff told us he instinctively "reached for his pistol" because he was disoriented and thought he was at home (cont)
That led many of us to wonder aloud why Biff sleeps with a pistol next to his bed. He explained he had been robbed by some n'hood kids (cont
If I recall, the kids robbed him more than once, and the entire experience spooked him. So, the moral of this story is ...
Said better be careful rolling up on The Biff's house, especially if it's nighttime.
Awesome. This is why I like social media so much. Frankly, I do not expect Said to actually find the Biff at home - he's not stupid. The bad publicity he'd get from ending up in jail on assault charges would make any sponsorship money evaporate. It really isn't news that most NASCAR participants are conservative, so guns are a major part of their lives. Many are unabashed hunters who have set up non profit wildlife federations. It might be nice if more were public about their support of the Second Amendment, but again, sponsorship issues muzzle any tendency to bring political issues into the NASCAR environs. They aren't afraid to mention shooting, hunting, religion, capitalism, family or other conservative hot buttons, but they don't prosthelytize. Except for their sponsors products. They are hired salesmen, after all.

At any rate, there has been a bunch of feudin' and fightin' in the ranks lately, and it's been pretty damn entertaining if ya ask me!

As a side note, Jenna Fryer, Bob Pockrass, Dustin Long and Nate Ryan are all NASCAR beat reporters who are a pleasure to read. They are old school reporters who really work to keep any personal bias out of their stories, as opposed to the mainstream media, who have forgotten the difference between reporting and editorializing. So, kudos to them, I say!

No comments: