Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Things I See


Just fueled at the west Hook (Flying J) in OKC - this was the cool thing I saw on this trip. We'll see race team haulers, tour buses, and various other interesting things hauled from somewhere to somewhere.

I dunno. For me, Lynyrd Skynyrd died in 1977. The Rossington-Collins Band, and the subsequent reinvention of Skynyrd never really made it for me. But, it's cool to see the surviving members (several more have gone to the great gig in the sky since the '77 plane crash) have a new album coming out.

Of course, Free Bird and Sweet Home Alabama are certified Rock Standards. Skynyrd's contribution to the gun control debate underwhelms me:
Two feets they come a creepin'
Like a black cat do
And two bodies are lyin' naked
Creeper think he got nothin' to lose
So he creeps into this house, yeah
And unlocks the door
And while a man reaching for his trousers
Shoots him full of .38 holes

[chorus]
Its a Saturday night special
Got a barrel that's blue and cold
Ain't no good for nothin'
But put a man six feet in a hole

Big Jim's been drinkin' whiskey
And playing poker on a losin' night
Pretty soon, Big Jim starts a thinkin'
Somebody been cheatin' and lyin'
So Big Jim commences to fightin'
I wouldn't tell you no lie
And Big Jim done grab his pistol
Shot his friend right between the eyes

[chorus]

Hand guns are made for killin'
Ain't no good for nothin' else
And if you like your whiskey
You might even shoot yourself
So why don't we dump 'em people
To the bottom of the sea
Before some fool come around here
Wanna shoot either you or me


Mmmkay - just exactly how are we gonna make sure all the guns are tossed? Hmmm? Yep, when it comes time to so so, you can just bet "Creeper" will turn his in. Best case scenario? Two bodies lyin' naked have a couple of blasters under their pillows and plug "Creeper."

And Big Jim? This must be his very first encounter with alcohol - having led a pristine life, never in any sort of confrontational situation that would test his self control with the gun he's carrying. But, he finally meets Ol Sour Mash and goes off on a shooting spree. Guess that Saturday Night Special was Demon Enhanced and was 'a talkin' to him in his alcoholic stupor.

I think Skynyrd's commitment to the gun control issue was also highlighted by Gimme Back My Bullets. It's a bit strange - he's tired of being pushed around, not gonna take it no more, give him back his bullets. Perhaps the song is about how we shouldn't give them back - since he's ready for violence? Or he's a fellow who's been pushed too far? Macho posturing? Ahh, well. Saturday Night Specials aren't the term de jour anymore, now it's assault rifles. I suspect we'd be hearing about EBRs and their mind control properties had the plane not gone down in '77.

I always liked this:



link

They were a good band in their day. I might just have to check out the new album just for nostalgia's sake.

11 comments:

ptg said...

I saw Lynyrd Skynard as the harbingers of extreme societal decadence to come. I was right

Jeffro said...

That is a rather jarring juxtaposition of - well, something. Just not sure what.

ptg said...

Decadence, Jeffro. Pure and unadulterated. The juxtaposition is an illusion caused by your head being screwed on straight.

Jeffro said...

Heh. The ol' noggin is really a bubble or two off plumb, truth be known.

ptg said...

Perhaps not as much as you might think. Kansas is known for gravitational anomalies.

jed said...

Well, I can't say I'm a huge fan of Skynyrd. Like 'em well enough. As far as Rossington Collins goes, this is a good song -- almost a great song. Also the only thing, AFAIK, I've heard by them.

I came across those Cowboys a couple years ago. Fun stuff.

jed said...

Oops. Forgot to mention Molly Hatchet.

Jeffro said...

I seem to remember you linking the Cowboys in comments on some post or another, Jed. My Molly Hatchet LP met with a bad end.

The Local Malcontent said...

Skynard was before my time, but I do know the anthems you mention, and the video of Tuesday's Gone is a memory for me. (ummbad)

Let me just be glad for you to have seen their truck,

jed said...

Ah yes, flirtin' with disaster on the stovetop.

I hope you replaced it. No collection is complete without it.

RT said...

I watched a concert a week or so ago with the "newer" lineup. I enjoyed the concert. I think I'm okay with it, because the singer is related. Make any sense? However, they are beginning to lose original members again, and well, at what point is it still the band under that name? For example, how is Guns and Roses still Guns and Roses if Axl Rose is the only member left? That was cool to see, though.