Wednesday, May 30, 2012

I Suppose

I'm just a crabby SOB today.

Had to go to Wally World and pick up some prescriptions, and the bill was ninety five bucks. Which I had to scrape together - I was out of a couple items, and I won't be home for about three days starting tomorrow. Had to have 'em.

So, muttering under my breath, I headed out to the ol' pickem up truck to go home, when the guy came up to me:

"Excuse me sir (damn polite, he was) can I bother you for a minute?"

I was wanting to get home, I've gotta get up early, but you never know, so I said to go ahead.

"I'm stuck here broke and so on and so on and gotta have x amount of dollars to do such and such and the family is depending on me and blah blah blah...."

I blew up.

"I don't have three cents to rub together right now, and I don't have time for this shit!"

"OH! Excuse me sure, blah blah blah..."

Normally, I might even give up a fiver just because it's easier to one of these panhandlers. I'm sure the begging mofo already sucks at the government tit big time and so on and so forth.

His "soft touch radar" kinda failed him, I think.

2 comments:

lotta joy said...

THANK YOU for repeating his words verbatim because I have been approached TWICE with the very same line!!

I would never approach anyone no matter what my situation and I always fail to fall for their sad tale.

My husband, on the other hand, always reaches for his wallet, leaving me scanning the parking lot for a possible stick-up partner.

Anonymous said...

This morning I passed one: young, seasonably dressed, intelligent face, no smell. Seating with his "hungry" carton ... right under Duane Reade' windows with "Help Wanted" sign.