Tuesday, May 08, 2012

24V71 Detroit


link

This is Mike Harrah's baby. Harrah is a self proclaimed entrepreneur, developer, visionary and philanthropist.  He also is a gearhead. 3424 horsepower, and it is gonna go into a Peterbilt 359 ahead of an Allison automatic transmission (no doubt extensively customized as well). This I gotta see.

The blowers are custom, and it's also on "the bottle." I expect plumbing in turbos would be a real nightmare, and I have to wonder if the heads could take it. While most of you have heard my opinions on production Detroit Diesel engines in the past, there is no denying that this exercise is a work of art. It just is, and if you don't understand, there is no hope for you!

H/T Darrell at The Guncounter Forum

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

cant imagine the oil this peice of (crap) machinery would leak on the floor! (sorry to rain no his parade) not a fan! tb

Jeffro said...

Well, frankly, that's what I thought in the ornery corners of my mind as well.Two stroker Detroits must be easier to hot rod - parts or something or other.

Not just oil, either, all that compression is probably gonna end up with antifreeze out the slobber tubes. Gee, wonder why I know about that? All part of the Detroit customer experience, I guess.

But, like that old 8v92 in the old blue Ford of your Dad's - when it was running, it flat out ran. Just keeping it thataway was a task. I expect this one will be no different.

Anonymous said...

ahaha, the enthusiasm of that guy reminds me of my son's when he was 9, 10 ans 11 and couldn't wait for summer vacation to start - because then he'd go to his gramps and then - to see the Woodward Ave car parade.

although when he was 12 he already started calming down.

big men and their big toys...