Sunday, January 02, 2011

Soddies



Another "I gotcher art raht hyar" posts. These are commonly called "Soddies."  These are a sort of bas relief semi-commercial folk art produced by a Mennonite lady from Montezuma KS - Leah Johnson. This particular collection is called a "Small Four Seasons," because she produced them in various sizes. As you can see, the four smaller plaques represent the seasons of the year with varying scenes, all involving sod houses. They are actually made with sod - a special mix of mud for the three dimensional look. Her sons and grandsons cut and edge routed the plaques for her.

They are all dated '86 and signed "Leah Johnson." The last I heard - and this was quite a while back - she was physically unable to produce any more and was living in a rest home in Montezuma. Once again, a little googling can illuminate - I did not know this:
One Mennonite memory painter is Leah Johnson, a Holdeman Mennonite (Church of God in Christ, Mennonite) from Montezuma, KS, who since 1967 has painted sod houses set in various Kansas regional landscapes. She uses a self-developed, three-dimensional sand-painting technique that was revealed to her following the death of her husband when she was suddenly faced with earning her own living. She has also illustrated books with drawings of her favorite subjects, notably True Sod, written by Barbara Oringdeff(sp).

Barbara Oringderff is noted Kansas historian/author who publishes a Kansas history themed quarterly The TerritorialTrue Sod is available at Amazon. According to the source above, an example of a memory painter:
Grandma Moses was a "memory painter"; that is, her scenes were naive, nostalgic renderings of a long-past era of American culture.
 Learn somethin' new ever' day! I didn't know that Mrs. Johnson had been making soddies since 1967, or that she had done illustrations and collaborated with Barbara Oringderff. I've been reading The Territorial for years. Aaaand, I did know that the Mennonites around here belong to the Holden branch. I'm not sure about Mrs. Johnson using sand for her soddies - it has always been said that she used plain ol' dirt - which is kinda sandy in the Montezuma area.

At any rate, I think I gave about eight bucks apiece for each of the plaques as a package deal and gave them to my Mother for Christmas. I've got a small one in my bathroom. My "extra mom" has a much larger plaque that her kids purchased for her as a group on display at her house. Ingalls Feed Yard used to (and may still - haven't been there in years) have a very large commissioned piece in their break room. Believe it or not, here in "red" flyover country, the cattle and grain barons support the arts.

You'll find Leah Johnson's soddies in plenty of discerning art lovin' homes here in southwester Kansas!

8 comments:

Guy said...

Hello & thank you for this post. My mom has the same set from Leah & we were delighted to find someone else who has been touched by her work.

Jeffro said...

Glad you liked the post and thanks for dropping by!

ken kreie said...

I think my grandmother may have bought a few hundred of these over the years as she traveled to Kansas fur various family reunions. She always brought a carload home. I have 2 left. I think almost every family member saved a few to remember our grandmother by.

Jeffro said...

Nice! Thanks for sharing your story!

Nichelle said...

Hello, I am looking to buy a set or any of these soddie paintings of Leah Johnson's. Leah Was my Dad's aunt and I have one painting that was in my Dad and Moms house. If you know of any for sale please let me know. Thank you.
Nichelle (Schmidt) Rader
nichellerader@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

Hi I am in Olathe Kansas and I have a Leah Johnson soddie dated and signed on the back April 1976. It is also signed on the front. It is an original in excellent condition. If interested you can contact me call or text 913-534-0345

Unknown said...

Hi about 8 years ago I purchased one of her soddies at an estate sale it is signed by her in Dec 1978 and was made for a couple in Wisconsin, she labeled it the old soddy and has her address and telephone at that time on the back of it also ( I tried calling the # to let her know how much I love it and how cool it is but the # is no longer in service ),I was curious if these are one of a kind and what the worth is, I love it and its one of my favorites on my walls and will definitly keep my eye out for more Scott

wendy said...

I currently have 2 Leah Johnson soddie framed paintings in excellent condition from 1988 plus an autographed copy of her illustrated book "True Sod". I am interested in selling these if anyone is buying.