Thursday, January 13, 2011

Just Remember This

In case we forget, considering the events in Arizona:
"We established however some, although not all its [self-government] important principles . The constitutions of most of our States assert, that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves, in all cases to which they think themselves competent, (as in electing their functionaries executive and legislative, and deciding by a jury of themselves, in all judiciary cases in which any fact is involved,) or they may act by representatives, freely and equally chosen; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson, letter to John Cartwright, 1824

Bolding mine.

2 comments:

Lisa Paul said...

Living part time in the country near Mountain Lions, I see Thomas's point. I'm just not sure he would have felt it was necessary to have the kind of firepower Jared was packing in a Safeway parking lot. Or at least Old Jeff might have wanted a little more screening to make sure such weapons didn't get into the hands of someone with documented instances of drug usage and mental instability.

I felt protected by the fact that I had to go through a two week extensive background check to get my rifle here in California. Then again, I don't believe anyone's checking that, now that I've got it, I don't fall into drugs and mental illness.

Jeffro said...

Another thing to remember is in TJ's day, every well heeled gentleman was armed. Jared wouldn't have gotten very far. A well armed society is a polite society.