Friday, August 16, 2013

One Ring To Bind Them.

Naw. Just stopped by to check out the Gateway Arch at St. Louis MO on the way to OKC. I've been by several times, but I've always figured there was no truck parking. Hey, guess what? There isn't. The garage I parked at made me nervous about the FX4 clearing, much less a semi. No freaking way. I also chickened out and didn't ride up - I'm about three quarters claustrophobic and one hundred percent acrophobic. I'd heard about how the observation platform tended to move in the wind. Not this fat boy, nossir. After seeing the guns, I asked about L&C's airgun - but they didn't have a replica or one of the real ones. Been a while since I read about the original and even if it's still around. And one has to go through security to get in - I ditched my pocketknife before I got there, but walking in I remembered my Silver Bullet Brigade bullet from the NRA on my keychain. They never even blinked and told me a small knife wouldn't have been a problem. My nail clippers were ok as well. Not as high strung as the security theater types at the airports. I got there a half hour after it opened, and thought about hanging around for one of the two movies showing, but it was starting to get pretty crowded. It looked like several busloads of folks hit all at once. No idea where they park, but I'd bet there is a place for 'em. So it was time for me to go. I recommend seeing this if you ever are able - definitely worth the time.

4 comments:

Moms Musings said...

I stopped at the Arch a few years ago on a cross country drive. I could not go up either, same reasons. It is beautiful too.

lisa said...

I have never been, was great to see your post! Might be the closest I ever get to it ;-)

Dad Bones said...

I never lived in St Louis but I was born there during WWII and felt I had to take the ride up. Glad I did but I worried more than a little on the way up about a weld popping loose or some similar malfunction that would strand me in that little elevator like car for hours or days while they tried to figure out how to get us down.

Irish said...

Cool!