Wednesday, August 14, 2013

I've Lost My Last Marble.

Mecca for a gearhead
Tech problems here - even RTFM isn't helping. I can't seem to put an album I made into a slideshow on Picasa on this blog unless I link to it. Cannot embed. Instructions say there is a link to and an embed button on the right. There is just a slew of pictures on the right. There are sharing options, and there is an option to link to the album. I made it public, so hopefully this works.

Try clicking this link.

At least that seems to work. Not too happy with Google - I suspect the new Picasa version has changed and they haven't changed their owner's manual to go with it.

Anyhoo, I've always wanted to go there, and so By Gawd I did. Driving up to it reminded me of the old Tiger Field in Detroit - old grandstands butting right up against the street. Only this thing was hundreds of times larger. Just mind boggling. Track tours were off because there was going to be a motorcycle race, so I didn't get to do that.

I had in mind that they would have every winning car there, but there isn't enough room for that. They did have an excellent representation of the more historical cars, plus some other racing vehicles from other disciplines - such as the Spirit of America land speed rocket, a Pontiac campaigned by Richard Petty of NASCAR, some bikes and other goodies.

It's probably a good thing the 1989 winner's car was not there. I never did appreciate how Emerson Fittipaldi punted Al Unser, Jr to win the Indy 500. I suspect I'd have been tossed from the place were I to do to his car what I'd really really like to do, if you know what I mean and I think that you do. Nossir, that puddle isn't antifreeze, officer.

2 comments:

jed said...

Teh Ghougle, it wants me to log in to see the pics.

Well, I'm glad you got see the place. I wouldn't mind visiting myself.

drjim said...

I've been there one time, for the 1980 Car Craft Street Machine Nationals.

And I got to drive my 1973 Trans Am on the track!