Monday, January 11, 2010

Perspective

Sometimes, I need to gain some perspective.

I saw my nurse practitioner today, and he had their lab screen my blood, plus he sent me to the hospital for a CAT scan. I've got a pretty decent sized stone in my right kidney and two in my left. The left kidney has a stent installed to prevent the stones from migrating. Apparently the stone in Kidney Right is irritating things. So, he made an appointment for me with the local urologist. His scheduler allowed how I could get in on the 28th. This is why I saw my guys first - their opinions carry more weight than mine. I saw him today.

I also had some xrays. The urologist wants to look things over - he hadn't seen the CT scan results nor the xrays, and wanted to study them first. I'll get a call when he's made a decision.

Okay, so it's a pain, and I'm whining. But, I gotta tell ya, it beats a brain tumor all to hell.

I just got word today that one of my childhood buds has a tumor and exploratory surgery is scheduled for Friday morning. He'd been seeing flashes out of the corner of his eye, and when he made his appointment, he had difficulty staying upright and keeping his balance. One doctor led to another, and this is where they're at. They do not know if the tumor is malignant, or what kind, or how it's growing. Apparently, if it started outside and grew in, then that is far better than if it started inside and grew out.

I spent a lot of time at his house as a kid, and he at mine. His friendship has meant a great deal to me over the years.

So, if you have time or room in your heart, please say a prayer for my pal. I'm a scabby old rat when it comes to survival - albeit one who doesn't take care of himself like he should. I'd a whole hell of a lot rather have stupid kidney stones than a brain tumor any day, and I don't feel quite so sorry for myself after all.

3 comments:

threecollie said...

I am so sorry that you are having this hard time and doubly sorry for your friend. Take care...

Jeffro said...

Aww, ya know, it just seems kinda stupid to be whiny about my problems at the moment. Thanks, Marianne.

Anonymous said...

That type of news does tend to put things in perspective.
Prayers sent, please keep us updated, both on your progress and his.