Monday, January 18, 2010

Bit of This, Bit of That

Well, I'm done for now with the outpatient surgery. An earlier blood screen showed my calcium and potassium levels were a bit high. Today's were even higher. This bothered the surgical team because I've had an ablative procedure (cryomaze). This procedure alters the nerve functions of heart regulation - so for every day use, it keeps mine from beating irregularly. However, during surgery, it is less stable and regulating medicines have less effect. So, in a stress situation, the ol' ticker could take off. That is what they feared if they put me under completely.

Another alternative was a spinal block. Most of the team favored putting me off and medicating my levels down to a safer level. My urologist decided to install a stent, moving the stone from it's blocking position and allowing my kidney to heal a bit - it's somewhat swollen. The urologist figures the levels will correct naturally.

So, they didn't put me under very deep, and used locals to install the stent. The pain from the stone is gone, but there are certain stretched parts that are complaining - nuff said. It looks like I'd be ready to work by Thursday, but I've got two followup appts Friday - it's a situation of "What's the use?"

Thanks for all the prayers and positive thoughts - y'all don't know how much that means to me.

7 comments:

ptg said...

Its good news, I guess. Ain't it awful being so beat-up at a young age?

Jeffro said...

I can thank my predilection for always doing the wrong thing health wise for most of this crap.

Dad Bones said...

Stay in there, Jeffro. I'd say you've always done the right thing spirit wise or soul wise or whatever the best phrase would be.

I can usually observe reasonable health practices at home but whenever I take a road trip my self discipline seems to go out the window. I've been to those truck stops and I can see where the choices are often unhealthy food verses no food.

SteveK said...

Hi Jeff. Best wishes for a speedy recovery! I sure hope that stent helps the stone to pass and your kidney to heal.

-Cousin Steve

Anonymous said...

I bet your "certain stretched parts" will appreciate another day of rest.
Best wishes.

Jinglebob said...

Sounds like your on the mend. Good deal!

Jerry in Texas said...

Jeffro,
Just checking in from Houston.

Sounds like your up on the lift for an overhaul. Let the docs do their thing so you can get back on your feet again. Hope all goes well.

Best of luck, Pal!