Saturday, December 25, 2010

Favorite Christmas Gift


We tend to remember the best Christmas present evah that we got as kids - mine would be a slot car set so many years ago. But, what is your favorite that you gave?

I have to go with this wind up pendulum clock. I got this for Sis at least ten years ago and maybe a few more than that. It isnt all that accurate - Sis reports that it tends to run slow, losing five minutes or so every two or three weeks. It gets worse as the clock winds down at times. It is no bother, when she winds it, the time is easily reset.

But the dern thing has integrated itself into her household. It chimes the hours and a single chime every half. The passage of time here is always measured with the comforting "tick tock" of the movement. In the still of the night, the clock can be heard throughout the house. I know I'm home and welcome at this place when I hear the reassuring sounds this little mechanism produces. Old school for sure - no digital clock could ever have the ambiance this anachronism has in abundance.

It's certainly no grandfather clock, but Sis wouldn't have the room for one and I couldn't afford one anyways. But I always feel like I did a good thing by giving this clock for Christmas.

What is the "best" or most appropriate gift you've ever given?

Oh, and before I forget, Merry Christmas, everyone!

4 comments:

drjim said...

Man, that's a tough one to call!
Probably the Kimber Eclipse Custom in 45ACP I got for my son a couple of years ago when I was working full-time.

Lisa Paul said...

My best, most appropriate gift that I gave is not a gift but a category of gifts. At some point, I decided everyone over 65 on my list would get food gifts. It's been a great hit as, by that age, most people have what they want and precious little room. But chocolates, cheese, gourmet steaks, etc. always come in handy.

And Merry Christmas (late I know, but I'm still trying to figure out from England, what time it is back home.)

Jeffro said...

And Merry Christmas to you and your cast of characters! Yeah, I'm late too but with no excuse.

MorningGlory said...

A doorknob for my step-dad. The doorknob for his workshop had been busted for a couple years, and he kept putting off/forgetting to pick up a new one when he went to the hardware store. One day I was wandering aimlessly around Lowe's looking for gift for him, and came up with NOTHING. I happened down the doorknob aisle, remembered him opening the door with a screwdriver, and bought him one. It's become the gift the family most talks about. I think he had it installed within 15 minutes of opening it.